1. Peer Review Procedures
(1) The editorial board shall request three scholars specializing in related disciplines to review manuscripts that are presented at KABS conferences or submitted to the journal. Reviewers shall be selected based on Chapter 2, Article 4, paragraph 7 of the Korean Association of Buddhist Studies ethical guidelines.
(2) The three reviewers shall evaluate each manuscript and assign it one of the following four designations: ‘publish,’ ‘publish after revision,’ ‘reassess after revision,’ and ‘reject.’
(3) ‘Publish’ shall indicate that the manuscript under review is fit for publication in the journal without substantial revision; ‘publish after revision’ shall indicate that the manuscript under review needs a partial revision, but such revision does not substantially affect the original content of the manuscript; ‘reassess after revision’ shall mean that the required revisions substantially affect the original content of the manuscript; and ‘reject’ shall be applied if the manuscript is plagiarized, does not align with the original mission and purpose of the Korea Journal of Buddhist Studies, or contains content that does not meet the standards for publication.
(4) Each author who submits a manuscript with an evaluation of ‘publish after revision’ shall be notified. The revised manuscript shall be published after confirmation of the required revisions. Each author who submits a manuscript with an evaluation of ‘reassess after revision’ shall be notified that the manuscript will be re-evaluated after confirmation of the required revisions during the evaluation period for the following issue unless the author fails to submit the revised manuscript, in which case the manuscript shall be rejected. Each person who submits a manuscript with an evaluation of ‘reassess after revision’ shall be notified of the corresponding requirements.
(5) Each author who submits a manuscript that is rejected shall be notified of the rejection.
(6) A manuscript for which the decision is to ‘publish after revision’ may be published in the following issue upon the decision of the editorial board.
(7) A manuscript written in a foreign language shall be evaluated by two or more members of the review panel who are fluent in the language in which the manuscript is authored.
(8) A manuscript presenting a translated or revised version of an article already published in a foreign journal may be published at the discretion of the Korean Association of Buddhist Studies. In principle, approval from the editor of the journal of the initial publication is required. When submitting a manuscript that is a derivative of a foreign journal article, the submission must be accompanied by the original version of the article and documentation of the approval to publish that contains the bibliographic data of the original article and includes a disclaimer confirming approval of the publication of the derivative work.
(9) The editorial board shall ensure that reviewers have three weeks or more for the peer review process.
(10) After the stipulated evaluation period has elapsed, the editorial board shall convene for a review session to select articles for publication and notify the authors of submitted manuscripts regarding the board’s decisions.
(11) The chairperson of the editorial board shall determine matters not specified in this Article.
2. Manuscript Review Standards
(1) Manuscripts must be structured in accordance with the publication principles and submission guidelines provided by the Korea Journal of Buddhist Studies.
(2) The subject matter and thesis of a manuscript must be clear, with an appropriate basis for the arguments.
(3) A manuscript must suggest or present a creative or critical thesis, concepts, reasons, or perspectives.
(4) It is not recommended for manuscripts to be limited to a simple analysis, survey, or a summary of primary or secondary literature.
(5) An appropriate discussion related to the primary and secondary literature in the relevant disciplines must be presented.
(6) In particular, discussion of the context provided by previous research related to the subject matter of the manuscript is strongly recommended.
(7) The thesis of a manuscript shall contribute to future research in the field of Buddhist studies.
(8) The length of Korean and English abstracts shall comply with the requirements, and the content thereof must be accurate.
3. Selection Criteria for Manuscripts
(1) The editorial board shall determine whether submitted manuscripts are accepted or rejected based on reviewers’ reports, as follows.
|<Table of peer review results>|
|Peer Review Results||Final Decision|
|Publish||Publish||Publish after revision||AAB|
|Publish||Publish||Reassess after revision||AAC||Publish after revision|
|Publish||Publish after revision||Publish after revision||ABB|
|Publish||Publish after revision||Reassess after revision||ABC|
|Publish after revision||Publish after revision||Publish after revision||BBB|
|Publish||Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||ACC||Reassess after revision|
|Publish||Reassess after revision||Reject||ACD|
|Publish after revision||Publish after revision||Reject||BBD|
|Publish after revision||Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||BCC|
|Publish after revision||Reassess after revision||Reject||BCD|
|Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||CCC|
|Publish after revision||Reject||Reject||BDD||Reject|
|Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||Reject||CCD|
|Reassess after revision||Reject||Reject||CDD|
|Publish||Publish||Reject||AAD||Review by the editorial board|
|Publish||Publish after revision||Reject||ABD|
|Publish||Reassess after revision||Reassess after revision||ACC|
|Publish after revision||Publish after revision||Reassess after revision||BBC|
(2) The editorial board shall make decisions regarding publishable manuscripts in circumstances not specified in the above paragraphs.
4. The Appeal Process for Rejected Manuscripts
A person who has submitted a manuscript may submit an appeal regarding the review decision to the chairperson of the editorial board within three days. The chairperson may discuss the decision regarding a manuscript for which an appeal has been submitted with the editorial board. If the editorial board recognizes the merit of the appeal, the committee shall launch another review process with a newly selected set of reviewers. If the manucript is determined to be publishable based on the re-evaluation process, it shall be published in the following issue upon discussion of the editorial board.
5. Information on the members of review panels shall not be disclosed to ensure fairness of the peer review process.
6. Peer Review Form
Peer review form for a manuscript submitted for publication in the Korea Journal of Buddhist Studies